Monday, March 2, 2009

Monday updates: "Oh heyyy Rookie"

Players of the week
The QMJHL has announced its players of the week. Benjamin Casavant of the PEI Rocket is the offensive player of the week and (no longer Captain) Alex Grant of the Shawinigan Cataractes is the defensive player of the week. I keep having captain Alex problems - like, I refuse to believe he is now with the Cataractes. Last night I was watching snippets of the Moncton vs Shawinigan game and Grant got in a fight with Zachmmmmm Sill and I was confused. I momentarilty thought there were two Alex Grant's in the Q and wondered why I didn't know this. I love when my brain plays stupid on me - it brings me back to Earth.

Speaking of Moncton vs Shawinigan - Moncton goaltender Nicola Riopel's allowed 4 goals last night before being replaced by that delightful little LBD. As a result his GAA has fallen to a 2.03. How very semi-human of him.

OK did you click the links above? ---> because something AMAZING has happened with the QMJHL website - they now have player stats associated with the individual player profiles. Getting with the times is a beautiful thing. They also have team photos from every season, records, career history, multimedia files, and game by game stats. I AM IN HEAVEN. This makes life so much easier.

Sportsnet Hot/Not:
Hot team: Rimouski Oceanic
Cold team: Acadie-Bathurst Titan
Hot Player: Benjamin Casavant (PEI)
Cold Player: Nicola Riopel
The league's top goaltender is human, after all. While Riopel can hardly be blamed for his team's shortcomings on their Québec road trip, his numbers were far lower than he has proven capable this season. Through three games, Riopel was beat 11 times on 76 shots for a 0.855 save percentage. The lowest point came Sunday in a game televised nationally on Rogers Sportsnet where Riopel was pulled early in the second period after allowing four goals on 18 shots.
Oh Heyyy Rookie:
Did you know that Mooseheads Jan Stransky (20G 19A), Alexis Piette (18G, 14A), Jessyko Bernard (13G, 12A), Charles Bety (13G, 9A) and Gabriel Desjardins (10G, 11A) are all in the top 30 for rookie scoring in the league? Well now you do.

No comments: